Anita Berget, 55, a Norwegian tourist, was killed on Wednesday (November 23) at the Cordial Mogan Playa hotel on the island of Gran Canaria. Ms. Berget died from severe burn wounds. Five others, all hotel employees, were also injured in the blast.
COMMENT: The blast occurred as a truck delivered propane to the hotel. Nearly 1,000 guests had to be temporarily evacuated from the hotel.
Propane is a colorless and odorless gas which is intentionally odorized so that leaks can be detected. The odor is similar to that of rotten eggs. If you smell a gas leak, you should extinguish all cigarettes and other sources of ignition and leave the premises immediately. Do not use any electric switches, appliances, thermostats or telephones that may cause a spark. Close the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder. Call your propane supplier or fire department from a cell phone or a neighbor's phone. Have a trained professional investigate and repair the leak. Although propane is stable when exposed to air or moisture, you must avoid using propane near sparks, open flames or even a static charge.
Gran Canaria is the second most populous island of the Canary Islands (a part of Spain), with a population of 838,397 which constitutes approximately 40% of the population of the archipelago. Located in the Atlantic Ocean about 150 kilometers (~93 miles) off the northwestern coast of Africa and about 1350 km (~838 miles) from Europe.