Saturday, February 18, 2012

30+ Tourists Hospitalized Due to Chlorine Leak in Phuket Pool

More than 30 people, many of them foreign tourists, were rushed to a local hospital in Phuket [Thailand] on Saturday (February 18) after a chlorine leak at a swimming pool at the Phuket Orchid Resort and Spa on Karon Beach.

COMMENT: The leak largely caused skin irritation and sore eyes. Although twelve patients were discharged within a matter of hours, some 25 were referred to larger medical facilities for treatment. One of those treated was a pregnant woman who had breathing difficulties after inhaling the chemical.

Among those that went to hospital were 10 Norwegian and nine Swedish nationals, with five Swedes remaining in the hospital, one of them in a serious condition.

As much as I love Thailand and after working and living there for a number of years, its overly used infrastructure, in many forms, is beginning to impact on the safely of visitors and residents alike.

Whether the topic is unsafe roadways and tour buses; incompetent bus drivers, tourists who ride motorbikes intoxicated, widespread economic crime, homicide, the use of date-rape drugs to neutralize tourists; or contaminated pools, Phuket may have reached the breaking point, as have a number of overcrowded destinations in the "Land of Smiles."

Our regular readers may recall my August 16, 2011, posting entitled "Pesticides May Have Caused Deaths of Six in Chiang Mai Hotel," when six guests of the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai, died from suspicious causes in January and February of that year. The dead included two Britons, one American, one New Zealander, one Canadian and one Thai.

I must respectfully suggest that given the continuing rise of calamities of too many sorts, particularly in Phuket, our readers may wish to consider a number of alternatives to this destination, which I would be happy to provide.




No comments: