COMMENT: I urge all readers to review the below link to a DAILY NEWS EGYPT piece re: a 58-minute videotape from al-Qaeda leader, Ayman Al-Zawahiri, who has called on Egyptians to reignite their revolution, promptly impose shari’a (Islamic law) and urge all Muslims to kidnap Westerners.
Although such a lengthy message is in keeping with al-Qaeda's propaganda effort, Egyptian-born al-Zawahiri's impact on extremist Egyptians should not be discounted.
Al-Zawahiri served as Osama bin Laden's deputy prior to his death in May 2011.
Although al-Zawahiri's message should not be the basis for Westerners NOT traveling abroad, it should nevertheless prompt caution and pre-departure research relative to al-Qaeda-generated attacks in countries where al-Qaeda is active: e.g., Pakistan, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Libya, Algeria, the Philippines and North Africa. This is NOT an all-inclusive list.
Specifically, all Western travelers should do the following:
1. Register their travel with their appropriate foreign affairs agency;
2. Review their destination countries on-line to determine whether al-Qaeda is active in such nations;
3. Take steps to avoid being identified as a Westerner;
4. Avoid all large-scale public gatherings; and
5. Fully comply with your government's on-line travel warnings.