According to The Associated Press and AFP, Australian national Meliad Farah AKA Hussein Hussein, will be put on trial in relation to a blast at Bulgaria's Burgas Airport on July 18, 2012. Five tourists and the driver were killed, and over 30 were injured, by the explosion on a bus transporting Israeli tourists.
An unidentified bomber blew himself up near the Israeli-packed tourist bus at the airport in Burgas, a popular Black Sea destination, on July 18, 2012, killing five tourists, their Bulgarian driver and himself.
Six months into the investigation, Bulgaria said the bomber had been helped by two men, Lebanese-born Australian and Canadian passport holders, with links to the military wing of Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
Bulgaria's chief prosecutor Sotir Tsatsarov told reporters on Thursday that an indictment should be ready in the first three months of 2014,
COMMENT: Bulgaria had already identified the suspects as 32-year-old Meliad Farah, also known as Hussein Hussein, an Australian citizen, and 25-year-old Hassan al Hajj Hassan, a Canadian citizen, both of Lebanese ethnicity.
Tsatsarov says the trial will end with a verdict regardless of whether the suspects are handed over to Bulgaria or not. He also said investigators know the current whereabouts of the two suspects, who are no longer residing in Australia and Canada, but have not yet demanded their extradition.
The attack was the deadliest against Israeli nationals abroad since 2004 and the first in a European Union member state.
The revelation of Hezbollah's involvement contributed to an EU-wide decision in July to blacklist the armed wing of the Shiite organization as a terror group.