Wednesday, November 13, 2013

México: British Husband, Father, 58, Attacked, Injured by Crocodile on Golf Course in Cancún

According to The Daily Mirror, Briton Dougie Thompson, 58, a father of two originally from Wishaw in Glasgow, had been in Cancún for a family wedding when his round of golf came to an abrupt end. 

Thompson was in the bunker around 10 to 15 feet from thick shrubbery. I didn’t even know there was water behind the bushes. “I took a shot and it landed on the green. Then I heard this noise behind me and this huge crocodile snapped my thigh."

Thompson said he was rescued by his friends, Brendan O’Hara, Gordon Victory and Martin Botright. “One of them started hitting the crocodile as while the other actually drove the golf cart over it. 

COMMENT: Mr. Thompson, who described his leg as looking like a “butcher’s shop window," will be flown to Toronto, where he lives, for further treatment. 

Had it not been for Thompson's friends’ intervention, Thompson added, “It would have pulled me back into the lagoon and had me for supper.” 

Now a very sobering statement: Over the years I have frequently urged that all foreign travelers subscribe to international medical treatment and evacuation coverage before leaving home. 

As I have said in the past, this coverage generally runs $US 8-11 per travel day abroad which can help travelers avoid the nightmare of facing an emergency room in México that demands that you guarantee payment before treatment is rendered.

Additionally, most coverage arranged for before you leave home also includes medical evacuation which can easily run upwards of US$100,000. Imagine doing such a thing without such insurance coverage?