Monday, April 28, 2014

South Korea: 200+ Bodies Recovered and Rising, President Park Geun-hye's Days Limited

South Korean authorities arrested three people Monday (April 28) on suspicion of destroying evidence connected to the sinking of the ferry "Sewol." 

Investigators also raided a Coast Guard office in a probe of how officials handled the first emergency call from a passenger.

The investigation team said it will analyze the work journals and transcripts of the recording to see whether the authorities properly fulfilled their duties," Yonhap added.

Nearly 200 bodies have been found, and more than 100 people are still missing.

The ship's captain and fourteen other crew members have all been arrested. Prosecutors in Mokpo said all 15 crew members in charge of sailing and the engine room have been indicted and are being held in the Mokpo Prison. 

COMMENT: Even newly-elected President Park Geun-hye may soon discover that with the expected resignation of PM Chung Hong-won on Sunday (April 27), she may find that in the aftermath of the sinking of the "Sewol," and the loss of over 200+ young lives, she may soon discover that her government will be daunted by criticisms that will never end.

The one image that will plague the President are photos of her being taken to the gym in her limo as lives perished.

From April 16 on, the President's place should have been at the sinking site directing her government to act promptly. Alas, she was Missing in Action.

Yang, the senior prosecutor for the investigative task force, said all detainees face charges of "causing death by abandoning (ship), and violation of the country's marine law, the Rescue and Aid at Sea and in the River Act."

South Korea's Prime Minister announced his resignation Sunday (April 27), taking responsibility for the slow initial reaction to the ferry's sinking.

Prime Minister Chung Hong-won explained his decision on national television. He apologized "on behalf of the government for the many problems that arose during the first response and the subsequent rescue operation," in addition to "problems that existed before the accident."

Prosecutors have said that authorities have yet to determine what caused the sinking. But leading theories include changes made to increase the ferry's passenger capacity and shifting cargo.