Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Global Impact: http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice is a Great Site!

COMMENT: Having edited the below blog since 2009, my sense is that I know a thing or two about Staying Safe Abroad:

http://www.stayingsafeabroad.blogspot.com

After  a 22-year career as a special agent and Regional Security Officer (RSO) in the US Foreign Service, ten years post-retirement as the security adviser to the Inter-American Development Bank where I was responsible for the Bank's 27 field offices, and nine years as a lecturer at the US Foreign Service Institute where I taught "Personal Security Awareness Abroad," my sense is that my qualifications have been well-established.

I also served as associate director of security for Latin America at the US Department of State as well as director of security of the US Agency for International Development.

What I like so much about the below website:

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice is its simplicity and the fact that unlike many foreign affairs agencies that offer on-line access to citizens, this service delineates whether it is "safe" to travel to a specific country and the varying levels of prevailing threat.

In that way, a traveler can adhere to the advice or "roll the dice."

In contrast, other foreign affairs agencies take the "politically correct" path and fail to describe their own threat categorization system in each country profile, thereby providing a less than candid viewpoint of the prevailing threat in each country.