Thursday, May 1, 2014

Montana: German Consulate Demands Justice After German Exchange Student 17, Shot, Killed in Homeowner's Garage

According to The Associated Press, a spokesperson for the German consulate in San Francisco called for justice Wednesday (April 30) after a homeowner in Missoula, MT fired four blasts from a shotgun into his garage, killing a German exchange student, 17, who was inside the garage.

The investigation into the killing of Diren Dede of Hamburg should make clear that it is illegal to kill an unarmed juvenile just because he was trespassing, said Julia Reinhardt, spokeswoman for the German consulate in San Francisco.
"We consider what happened completely out of proportion to the probable risk," Ms. Reinhardt said.

Dede's father, Celal, arrived in Missoula on Tuesday night (April 29) with a family friend to recovery his son's body. They spent part of the morning at the home of Diren Dede's host family in Missoula and declined to be interviewed.
The teen was studying at Missoula's Big Sky High School and was to leave the US after the school term ended in just a few weeks.
COMMENT: Having spent a good part of my adult life investigating shootings, it appears, based upon the few facts that Markus Kaarma should have exercised more restraint and care before shooting an unarmed person so many times with a shotgun.
It is unclear as to what Diren Dede was doing in Markus Kaarma's garage just before the shooting early Sunday morning (April 27).
Prosecutors allege that the 29-year-old firefighter shot into his garage without warning after an intruder tripped alarm sensors he had installed.

Just days before, Kaarma told a neighbor that his house had been burglarized twice and he had been waiting up nights to shoot an intruder, court records said.

Kaarma's attorney, Paul Ryan, said his client plans to plead not guilty to a charge of deliberate homicide because Montana law allows homeowners to protect their residences with deadly force when they believe they are at risk of being injured and/or killed.  
There had been a number of break-ins in the neighborhood and Kaarma believed the police weren't doing anything about it, Ryan said.

"We know with no question the individual entered garage. Kaarma didn't know who he was, his intent or whether he was armed," Ryan said.

Kaarma and his partner have remained in their home since he was released on $30,000 bond Monday (April 28). A sign on their front door Wednesday (April 30) told visitors not to ring the bell.
An official from the German consulate is in Missoula to assist Celal Dede in recovering the body and to meet with local law enforcement and prosecutors, Reinhardt said.

Dede's family in Hamburg told the German newspaper, BILD, the family has lived in Germany since 1977. Diren had two sisters ages 19 and 21. 

Diren was to be in the US for just another six weeks, but now the family plans a burial in Turkey, the newspaper reported.
Diren Dede played soccer for Missoula High School and in Germany. His former team in Hamburg was to play a charity match Wednesday (April 30) to help the family offset airline and funeral costs.

This report will be updated as new information becomes available.