Sunday, June 8, 2014

Central African Republic: Text Messages in CAR Deemed to Be a Security Threat, Restriction May Last Several Days

According to AFP, text messages in the Central African Republic are now considered a security threat and their use has been suspended, the Telecommunications Ministry said Tuesday (June 3).

Mobile phone users in the Central African Republic who attempted to send text messages are getting the response: “SMS not allowed."

"The use of any SMS by all mobile phone subscribers is suspended from Monday June 2, 2014, until further notice," the Ministry said in a letter to mobile phone operators in the conflict-torn country.

COMMENT: The decision was made by Prime Minister Andre Nzapayeke since there has been a resurgence in violence in the capital of Bangui.

Nzapayeke on Sunday (June 8) had made an appeal for people to return to work in Bangui following several days of protests that had paralyzed the capital.

A source in the government told AFP the suspension of text messages would last “for several days."

The deeply impoverished, majority Christian nation has been struggling to restore security in the face of relentless tit-for-tat attacks between Christian vigilante groups and mostly Muslim ex-Seleka rebels who seized control in a coup last year but were forced from power in January 2014.