Monday, June 9, 2014

Nigeria: Twenty Women Abducted by Boko Haram from Chibok, Same Venue From Which 300 School-Girls were Abducted on April 15

According to The Associated Press, suspected Boko Haram gunmen reportedly kidnapped 20 women from a nomadic settlement in northeastern Nigeria near the town of Chibok, where the Islamic militants abducted more than 300 schoolgirls and young women on April 15.

Alhaji Tar, a member of the vigilante groups set up to resist Boko Haram's attacks, said the men arrived at noon on Thursday (June 5) in the Garkin Fulani settlement and forced the women to enter their vehicles at gunpoint. He says they drove away to an unknown location in the remote stretch of Borno state.

Tar said the group also took three young men who attempted to stop the kidnapping of the twenty women.

COMMENT: I have said it before and I will say it again. After more than a month in Nigeria, foreign advisers representing the governments of the UK, US, China, Israel and INTERPOL are seemingly no more closer to finding the 300 school-girls and the additional twenty women abducted on Thursday (June 5) than they were on April 15.

As I have also said previously, if the foreign advisers are not finding the missing girls, not to mention the 20 women kidnapped on Thursday, the advisers may be viewed as part of the problem rather than the solution.

From all indications, it seems apparent that the Nigerian military, which is far more prone to corruption than in solving problems or protecting citizens,  is apparently on "light" duty, rather than being deployed in the northeast, where Boko Haram rules.

The Defense Ministry said Monday (June 9) that troops prevented raids by Boko Haram this weekend in villages in Borno and neighboring Adamawa state. Soldiers also killed more than 50 militants on Saturday night (June 7) as they were on their way to attack communities, defense spokesman Chris Oluklade said in an emailed statement.

That being said, where are the bodies of the 50 militants?

The Nigerian military has come under sharp criticism from Nigerians who say they're not receiving any protection from Nigerian security forces at all, left to fend off attacks by Boko Haram on their own.