Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tip of the Day: How Do You Perceive Fatalism Depends Largely on Whether You Will Likely Be Victimized in the Future?

How do you define the term "fatalism"?

Please answer your response cautiously as whether you are victimized in the future may be dependent upon your response.

For the sake of "intrigue," please CIRCLE your response below:


YES, I believe in fatalism                    NO, I don't believe in fatalism


According to Webster's Dictionary,  "fatalism" is defined as:

the belief that all events are predetermined and therefore inevitable

If you were to ask me whether I believe in fatalism, I would deliberately respond in the negative, because my life experience in international law enforcement has saved my life more than once from serious injury and/or death.

If you truly believe that all events are predetermined and therefore inevitable, then you are essentially saying that being cautious, prudent, making wise choices versus bad choices and making serious personal judgments regarding risk avoidance and risk exposure are meaningless.

Although many of our lives are formed based upon theories and conclusions we made as children, one must reckon with the concept of fatalism and hopefully agree that being fatalistic leaves absolutely no room for being able to avoid harm based upon the thinking explained in the above paragraph.

If you truly believe in fatalism, that means that any personal security awareness training you receive in the course of your in-service training is...meaningless.

On the other hand, having spent the better part of 22 years working and living abroad, as a special agent and a Regional Security Officer (RSO), most of it in developing countries, where I faced considerable risk each day, I learned very quickly that not being predictable, lowering my personal profile, using counter-surveillance techniques, tactically learning how to safely drive out of an attempted vehicular kidnapping and knowing when and when not to resist an armed robbery, has enabled me to give you useful advice today.

If I haven't been able to convince you that fatalism may eventually lead to your own demise or misfortune, then perhaps you should adhere to fatalism to see how it works for you.

As I've been writing this, I recall a wealthy Mexican executive who insisted in attending mass at the very same church service as he always had. I could not penetrate his belief in fatalism. This executive religiously attended mass exactly at the same service each Sunday.

Now...here's the interesting part: The Mexican executive was kidnapped in front of the church because of his predictability and his belief that everything in life is preordained