Sunday, July 20, 2014

Tip of the Day: Go to ASIRT for Country-Specific Driving Guides, Everyone Needs an IDP

I agree. Today's Tip of the Day, is a two-fer...Two tips.

I know that I've said this before, but Rochelle Sobel's Association for Safe International Road Travel (ASIRT) is the place to go if you plan on driving abroad.

Rochelle Sobel's son and 21 others were killed in a bus accident in Turkey in 1995. So...for is very personal.

ASIRT sells road travel reports, which are invaluable to anyone driving on roadways abroad.

Second Tip: Even if business travelers do not rent vehicles and drive abroad, they should still obtain an international driving permit (IDP) for two reasons:

1. The IDP is accepted as an authorized driving permit in 150 countries, many of which do not recognize driving permits issued in the United States; and

2. After a passport, the IDP is your next second BEST form of photo identification.

The US Department of State, in keeping with Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (1949), authorizes only two organizations in the United States to issue IDPs: the American Automobile Association (AAA) and the National Automobile Club (NAC). 

IDPs also function as the official translation of a US driver’s license into ten foreign languages. 

IDPs are not valid in the country of issuance.

To apply for an IDP, you must be 18 years of age. 

You must present two passport-size photographs and a valid driving permit. The cost of an IDP from either the AAA or NAC is $15: