Wednesday, August 6, 2014

India: Teacher, 20, Abducted by Muslims, Forced to Convert to Islam, Gang-Raped for Days

According to the UK-based The Telegraph, fears of communal tensions in India erupted after a Hindu woman, 20, alleges that she was kidnapped, forced to convert to Islam and gang-raped. The reported brutality stems from communal violence in Uttar Pradesh. 

The incident has taken a political turn with the local unit of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) citing it as an instance of ''forced religious  conversion." 

Additional security forces have been deployed to Meerut, 45 miles east of Delhi, and the city has been divided into sectors based on the communal sensitivities as mobs of agitated Hindus gathered in the city. 

Protesters demanded the suspension of policemen who they claimed had refused to respond when the victim's family complained that she had been kidnapped on July 30. 

The officer in charge of the police station was removed from his post late on Monday (August 4) in an attempt to defuse the tension.   

COMMENT: The victim, who taught English and Hindi at a local madrassa to support her family, alleged that four or five Muslim men kidnapped her from her home in a village near Meerut on July 30. 

The kidnappers then took the victim to Hapur, forcibly converted her to Islam, gave her a Muslim name, dressed her in a veil, took her to Muzaffarnagar and gang-raped for three days, she told the police. 

The victim claimed to have met some 20 other women in the madrassa who were also being held captive. Police raided the seminary on Monday and said they found no captives. 

The woman managed to escape on Sunday (August 3) and return home to her family who reported her experience to police.

Subsequently, police arrested three suspects, including her village's Islamic preacher and two others. The authorities are awaiting the medical report of the alleged victim in order to confirm that she was raped. 

Last week a confrontation between Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims in Saharanpur 70 miles from Meerut left three people dead and curfew imposed for several days. 

Local BJP MP Rajendra Aggarwal has promised to raise the raise the matter in Parliament and demanded strict action against local police officials and those responsible for the alleged atrocities. 

KOTA KINABALU, Aug 3 — The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) has extended indefinitely a curfew along the state’s east coast imposed two weeks ago in response to repeated incursions by armed foreigners.
Esscom chief Datuk Abdul Rashid Harun said that the decision to extend the 6pm to 6am curfew was agreed upon by state police commander Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman and Home Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi under the Police Act 1967.
“I’m officially announcing the extension of this curfew to the public, and ask for the public’s cooperation in complying to the curfew, ” he said in a statement today.
Abdul Rashid explained that the curfew, implemented after an attack at the Mabul Water Bungalows in Semporna on July 12 that saw two policemen killed, covers the same area as before: about three nautical miles from shore until the international border with the Philippines, encompassing some 121,270 sq miles.
The area stretches for about 362 nautical miles from Tanjung Pun­daras in Sandakan until parts of Pulau Sebatik near Tawau.
The six districts involved are Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Tawau.
Abdul Rashid said that Esscom has so far compliance with the curfew has generally been satisfactory, but they have arrested 46 fishermen aged between 19 and 50 years old and seized 11 boats from eight cases of breaking curfew  in the last 2 weeks beginning July 20.
“We have also given special permission to 40 fishermen – three from Tawau and 37 from Sandakan -  to carry out fishing activities during the last two-week curfew.”
Sabah has been hit by repeated cases of abductions by suspected Filipino gunmen in recent months, including high-profile cases involving Chinese nationals holidaying or working here.
- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/sabah-curfew-extended-until-further-notice#sthash.cQVZJxyw.dpuf
KOTA KINABALU, Aug 4 — The curfew along Sabah’s east coast will last till August 17, with the possibility of another extension if the state’s security is still under threat.
The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) commander Datuk Abdul Rahid Harun said that the Home Ministry has approved the current extension for the legal maximum of 2 weeks.
The 6pm to 6am curfew was first imposed on July 20, following repeated kidnappings and an attack by armed foreigners along the east coast of Sabah. The extension was announced on August 3.
The curfew covers areas starting from about three nautical miles from shore until the international border with the Philippines, stretching some 362 nautical miles and encompassing some 121,270 sq miles, from Tanjung Pun­daras in Sandakan until parts of Pulau Sebatik near Tawau.
The six districts involved are Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Semporna, Kunak and Tawau.
Abdul Rashid also added that no permits have been issued for fishermen to fish in the areas under the curfew but 40 (three in Tawau and 37 in Sandakan) special passes have been issued for right of passage through the areas including tourist resort boats and barter trade boats.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman said that the State Government will consider providing financial aid to the fishermen affected by the curfew. – Reuters picChief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman said that the State Government will consider providing financial aid to the fishermen affected by the curfew. – Reuters pic
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman said that the state government will consider providing financial aid to the fishermen affected by the curfew.
“We are concerned for their livelihood and will look into ways we can provide aid to them,” he said.
Sabah’s east coast, a major player in the state’s tourism pull, has been hit by several kidnappings and attacks by armed foreigners recently.
The latest was an attack on a popular dive island, Mabul on July 12 where Marine Police Kpl Ab Rajah Jamuan, 32, was killed while colleague Kons Zakiah Aleip, 26, was abducted.
In April, China tourist Gao Huayun, 29, and Filipino hotel worker Marcy Dayawan, 40, were taken from the Singamata Reef Resort near Semporna and just over a month later on May 6 Chinese national Yang Zailin, 34, was abducted from the fish farm he was managing at Pulau Baik in Lahad Datu.
On June 16, gunmen once again struck at a fish farm at Kampung Sapang in Kunak and abducted its manager Chan Sai Chuin, 32.
- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/sabah-curfew-extended-2-weeks-possible-extension-after#sthash.DjezAWpE.dpuf