Sunday, August 17, 2014

Indonesia: Update--Heather Mack Reportedly Two Months Pregnant

According to ABC News, the US teen, Heather Mack, 19, accused in participating in the murder of her mother, Shelia von Wiese-Mack, 62,  is reportedly  two months pregnant and has been physically assaulted while in custody, according to the teen's lawyer, Michael Elkin, who has yet to arrive in Bali.
COMMENT: So how does Mr. Elkin know that his client is pregnant and that she is telling the truth, as she [Heather] has lied about so many occasions in the past, how can Elkin believe her? 

Heather Mack, 19, is accused of killing her mother, Sheila von Wiese-Mack, while on vacation at a resort on the island. Mack's boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, 21, is also being held on suspicion of murder.
Wiese-Mack, 62, was found dead Tuesday (August 12) at the St. Regis Bali resort, where she was staying. Her body had been stuffed into a suitcase and left in the trunk of a taxi, police said.
Mack and Schaefer were arrested Wednesday (August 13), a day after Wiese-Mack's body was found. Police told THE ASSOCIATED PRESS that the pair was charged with murder on Friday (August 15) and that there was enough evidence to charge them with premeditated murder.
Mack's attorney, Michael Elkin, disputed that in a statement sent to reporters today, claiming his client has been mistreated by local police in Bali and has not yet been charged with a crime.
Elkin said Mack has been physically assaulted while in custody and was told that she will be deprived of food or water if she does not speak to police. She was also told that if her attorney does not arrive in the country within a few days, she will be deprived of food and water and access to her attorney. 
Heather Mack also told Elkin her translator turned out to be a private detective.
ABC NEWS calls to the number listed as the police department were either not answered or were answered, but ended after the person who answered was asked about Mack's case.
Col. Djoko Hari Utomo, chief of police for Denpasar, told THE ASSOCIATED PRESS that the couple had refused to talk to police without their lawyers.
"But that does not hamper our investigation. We have enough evidence, including CCTV and fingerprints," Utomo told AP. 
According to autopsy results released this week, Wiese-Mack died as a result of asphyxiation from a broken nose caused by a blunt force trauma. The 62-year-old also had a broken neck and abrasions on her hand as if she had tried to fight off her attacker, the autopsy found.
Police said Mack and Schaefer hailed a taxi and put the suitcase containing Wiese-Mack's body in the trunk. The pair then left the area. The taxi driver alerted police when the couple did not return and officials then found the body.
The couple told investigators Wiese-Mack was killed by robbers that they had managed to escape. Utomo told the AP than an FBI agent had arrived to assist with the investigation.