Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Japan/US: Starbucks Coffee Agrees to Buy Out Its Japanese Partner for $915 Million

According to The Latin American Tribune, Starbucks Coffee has agreed to buy out its partner in Japan, Sazaby League, for 99.5 billion yen ($915 million).

The US coffee shop chain, which held a 39.5% stake in its Japanese operations, has bought the remaining 60.5% owned by Sazaby League, Starbucks Japan said in a statement.

Japan is the second largest market for the North American franchise after the United States.

COMMENT: In 1995, Starbucks entered Japan in partnership with Sazaby League and currently has about a thousand coffee shops employing 25,000 people.

The transaction will take place in two parts and be completed in 2015.

No comments: