Sunday, September 21, 2014

US: Update--Intruder at White House Was Armed with Knife

According to Reuters, the Texas intruder arrested on Friday (September 19) for entering the White House was armed with a knife when he climbed a fence and made it into the executive mansion after President Barack Obama had departed, the U.S. Attorney's Office said on Saturday (September 20). 

Previously, the US Secret Service had said Omar González, 42, had been unarmed. 

González was charged with unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a "deadly or dangerous weapon," according to an affidavit released by the US Attorney's Office on Saturday. 

If convicted, González faces up to 10 years in prison. 

The affidavit, signed by Daniel Hochman, a Secret Service officer on duty at the White House when the incident occurred, said González was carrying a folding knife with a 3-1/2-inch long serrated blade. 

González went through the north doors and entered the White House.

"After he was apprehended, Omar González told US Secret Service Agent Lee Smart that he was concerned that the atmosphere was collapsing and (he) needed to get the information to the President of the United States so that he could get the word out to the people," the affidavit said. 

The incident, one of the most significant breaches since Obama became president, raised questions about security procedures at the White House, a heavily guarded complex filled with Secret Service officers and snipers. 

The Secret Service increased security around the White House on Friday and started a review of its response, including a physical assessment of the area and interviews with involved personnel, the agency said. 

Shortly before the intrusion, President Obama and his daughters had departed for Camp David. First Lady Michelle Obama had traveled separately to the presidential retreat in nearby Maryland. 

COMMENT: While waiting for the results of the review, Secret Service Director Julia Pierson ordered increased security around the area where the intruder accessed the White House grounds. 

"Director Pierson has ordered the immediate enhancement of officer patrols and surveillance capabilities along the Pennsylvania Avenue fence line around the White House complex," the statement said. "These measures went into effect last night," it added. 

A Presidential spokesman said the president had full faith in the agency charged with protecting him and was certain the review would be conducted thoroughly and professionally. 

A second man was arrested on Saturday (September 20) for trespassing at the White House. Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said the man approached the White House gates on foot, was sent away, then returned in his vehicle. 

"He refused to leave and was arrested for trespassing," Donovan said. No further details were available. 

The Secret Service has faced a series of scandals and other security breaches in recent years. In 2009 an uninvited couple penetrated layers of security to get into a White House state dinner. The agency's reputation was tarnished further in 2012 over a prostitution scandal involving its agents in Colombia.

No comments: