Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Vietnam: Argentine, 21, Dies in Ho Chi Minh City Hostel, See Tips

According to http://tuoitrenews.vn, an Argentine tourist, 21, was killed in a hostel fire that hit a hotel in downtown Ho Chi Minh City on Wednesday (October 8).
The Argentine has been identified as Julieta Kohner, 21, police said.
A preliminary probe found that at 0600 hours, Ms. Kohner registered at the Budget Saigon Hostel close to the Pham Ngu Lao backpacker area--a popular tourist destination in central Ho Chi Minh City--and stayed in a room containing 18 beds.
Witnesses told Tuoi Tre newspaper that they saw smoke coming from the first floor of the hotel. Hotel staff and residents failed to find fire extinguishers to battle the flames and failed in their efforts. 
Informed of the hotel fire, more than 30 firefighters responded to the scene and extinguished the flames.

COMMENT: The website for Hostels International is:

https://www.hihostels.com

The only hostel certified by http://www.hihostels.com in Vietnam is the below property:

https://www.hihostels.com/hostels/hanoi-rendezvous-hotel

The reasons that many international hostels are discouraged is because of the following deficiencies:

a. Deficient security support in terms of personal security awareness;

b. Deficient safeguarding of personal property in hostels; and

c. Fire safety deficiencies that can include nonexistence of sprinkler systems, central station alarm enunciators, adequate fire extinguishers, etc.

Ms. Kohner was found in a large hostel room that contained 18 beds, far too much density for a safe evacuation of the hostel.

I tend to discourage all hostels that have greater density than four occupants.

Julieta Kohner was found dead after the blaze, while two other residents suffered smoke inhalation.  
Nguyen Van Trang Street, where the hostel is located, has been blocked for police investigation.

No comments: