Thursday, November 6, 2014

US: Philadelphia Woman, 22, Abducted, Injured in Interstate Case, Recovered in Maryland

According to The Associated Press, a woman seen on surveillance camera video putting up a fight while being abducted off a Philadelphia street was found safe outside Baltimore, MD on Wednesday (November 5). The kidnapper who abducted her was in custody.
Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, 22, was observed in Jessup, MD, with the man in a car with a broken-out back window and was rescued soon afterwards, police said. The man was nabbed after he stepped out of the car, they said.
"We got a very dangerous predator off the street," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.
Freeland-Gaither had some minor injuries, but was generally OK, police said. There was no indication she and the man, who used to live in Philadelphia, knew each other, authorities said.
Delvin Barnes, 37, was being held Wednesday night on an unrelated Virginia warrant alleging attempted capital murder, assault and malicious injury with acid, explosives or fire, and would face federal charges in the Philadelphia abduction, authorities said. 
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATFE) agents had received information from Richmond, VA, to be on the lookout for a vehicle that might have been involved in the abduction, said Tim Jones, resident agent in charge with the ATF in Lanham, MD.
ATF agents found the vehicle, which had its rear window kicked out, late Wednesday afternoon on a road in Jessup, he said. A witness to Freeland-Gaither's abduction Sunday night had said she broke some of the car's windows before the car sped off.
COMMENT: Barnes climbed from the back seat to the front seat, and that was when agents drove their cars around to block his vehicle in, Jones said. Agents then freed Freeland-Gaither, and she was taken to a hospital, Jones said.
Freeland-Gaither's mother, Keisha Gaither, thanked police and the community for their support and said she had talked to her daughter by phone, but the two hadn't been renewed. 
Freeland-Gaither, 22, had been last seen on surveillance video being grabbed by a man and pulled toward a car Sunday night. 
The video depicted a man in a knit cap and dark coat walking down an aisle of a store and using a self-checkout station. A timestamp indicates the video was recorded eight hours before Freeland-Gaither disappeared.
A witness called 911 at about 2140 hours on Sunday and reported seeing a woman identified as Freeland-Gaither screaming for help as she was forced into a dark gray four-door vehicle.
View gallery
Police said Freeland-Gaither's glasses and cellphone were dropped on the street, near piles of broken auto glass.
Freeland-Gaither, a nursing assistant, graduated from high school in Maryland and lived with her grandfather in Philadelphia until a couple of months ago, when she moved in with her boyfriend.
Freeland-Gaither's parents circulated fliers in Germantown, and Facebook groups sprung up with prayers for her safe return.

No comments: